US court ends $ 100 million lawsuit against PM Modi, Amit Shah | India News

WASHINGTON: A. US court has dismissed a $ 100 million lawsuit against Prime Minister Narendra Modes and Interior Minister of the Union Amit Shah after the litigants – a separatist Kashmir-Khalistan team and two employees – failed to appear at two scheduled hearings.
The lawsuit was filed on September 19, 2019, days before Modi’s historic “Howdy, Modi!” Event in Houston, Texas. It challenged the Indian Parliament’s decision on Jammu and Kashmir, which removed the state’s special privileges and worked out two union territories, and asked Modi, Shah and Lt. Gen. Kanwal Jeet Singh Dhillon for $ 100 million in compensation.
Dhillon is currently the Director General of the Defense Intelligence Agency and Deputy Chief of Integrated Defense Staff under the Chief of Defense Staff.
“Aside from this attempted service, the Kashmir Khalistan referendum front” did nothing to pursue this case, “and has now failed to appear at two properly scheduled planning meetings, said Judge Frances H. Stacy of the US District Court in the southern Texas district His decision of October 6, recommending that the case be dismissed.
The case was closed on October 22nd by Judge Andrew S. Hanen of the US District Court in Texas.
Apart from the Kashmir Khalistan referendum front, the other two complainants were not identified with the exception of the acronyms “TFK” and “SMS”. The defendant was represented by the separatist lawyer Gurpatwant Singh Pannun.
India’s parliament last year passed a law changing the status of Jammu and Kashmir state and changing provisions that hampered economic development and fostered a sense of separatism.
Prime Minister Modi, accompanied by US President Donald Trump, spoke to over 50,000 Indians in the “Howdy, Modi!” Event in Houston on September 22, 2019.
According to court records, the Kashmiri referendum front was able to summon Khalistan Modi, Shah and Dhillon at the Indian consulate in Houston on February 18, 2020.
A conference was scheduled by the court on August 2nd. A second conference was scheduled for October 6th.
Judge Stacy said representatives from the Kashmir Khalistan Referendum Front did not appear at the conference as such. He recommended that the lawsuit be dismissed. Judge Hanen closed the case two weeks later.

Source